Tom Petty’s family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

(Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File)


His wife and daughter released the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.

This image was posted with the following message:

Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications….Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hipWe knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accidentThank you also for respecting the memory of a man who was truly great during his time on this planet both publicly and privately.

Dana Petty and Adria Petty


He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died in October at age 66.

To see the full message, see here.

~With files from The Associated Press

Filed under: Tom Petty